Arthur Dental Group is one of a select few dentists in Kitsap County offering TMJ dental treatment services. In a relaxing environment, Dr. Lisa Arthur will address your TMJ dental needs and take quick action to improve your life.
Call today for an appointment (360) 782-1000
If you’re on this page, you probably already have Googled as much as possible about your TMJ issues, but just in-case, here is a little information about what you might be experiencing.
Possible causes of TMJ disorders include:
- tooth and jaw alignment
- stress and teeth grinding
There are several popular treatments for TMJ disorders. This step-by-step plan from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research allows you to try simple treatment before moving on to more involved treatment. The NIDCR also recommends a “less is often best” approach in treating TMJ disorders, which includes:
- eating softer foods
- avoiding chewing gum and biting your nails
- modifying the pain with heat packs
- practicing relaxation techniques to control jaw tension, such as meditation or biofeedback.
If necessary for your symptoms, the following treatments may be advised:
- exercises to strengthen your jaw muscles
- medications prescribed by your dentist; for example, muscle relaxants, analgesics, anti-anxiety drugs or anti-inflammatory medications
a night guard or bite plate to decrease clenching or grinding of teeth.
- In some cases, your dentist may recommend fixing an uneven bite by adjusting or reshaping some teeth. Orthodontic treatment may also be recommended. Your dentist can suggest the most appropriate therapy based on the suspected cause.